SUGAR-FREE RECIPES PLEASE
The Christmas season is upon us and with that come peppermint mocha’s and homemade fudge. But I have a few better than that. What if you could still enjoy these things without all of the guilt (and the sugar coma) that come with it?
These are two of my favorite recipes for easy sugar-free hot chocolate and sugar-free peppermint fudge! The two together are fantastic and great for gift giving!
SUGAR-FREE HOT CHOCOLATE
Ingredients: 1 serving
1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk, or sugar-free milk of choice
1 tablespoon good quality cacao powder or cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of your favorite Zero Sugar sweetener (I like Lakanto Monkfruit)
pinch of sea salt
*optional thickener- 1/4 tsp arrowroot powder or xantham gum mixed with 2 tbsp. water
Add milk, cacao powder, sweetener, and salt to a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to simmer, whisking until smooth. If you would like to thicken it you can make a slurry with either arrowroot or xantham gum. Mix a 1/4 tsp of either with 2 tbsp. water and add to the cocoa mixture. If you want a peppermint hot chocolate, just add a drop or 2 of peppermint extract at the end and stir, be careful not to add too much. Serve and enjoy!
📷Also my favorite sugar-free marsh mellows are made by Max Mallow
SUGAR-FREE PEPPERMINT FUDGE
3/4 cup creamy almond butter (make sure it is just almonds-I like Kirkland brand organic Almond butter from Costco)
1.5 cups sugar-free chocolate chips (I like Lily’s Milk Chocolate)
2 and 1/4 tsp. Peppermint extract
- Line an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips & almond butter together using the double boiler method or the following: add chocolate and almond butter to a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 20-second increments until chocolate is fully softened and mostly melted. Stir in between heating increments, until smooth.
- Add peppermint extract. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the peppermint chocolate mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Using a rubber spatula, smooth into an even layer.
- Chill in the freezer for 40-70 minutes, or until firm. Slice and enjoy! Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator!